Manurewa started out as a little village spreading from the Great South Road.
It was originally called Manurewa or "soaring bird" because of the narrow isthmus between Waitemata and the Manukau Harbours, and the seabirds which flew across from coast to coast.
The Martin family owned most of the village land.
This land was bounded by Orams and Browns Roads, the Manukau Harbour, Weymouth and Alfriston Roads, Claude Road and the Nathan property.
Upon this grand estate stood a house at the top of Grande Vue Road.
In 1929, the radio station 1ZM commenced broadcasting in Manurewa.
The very first official post office was opened in 1884 and the very first telephone office was opened in 1901.
Following a very keen struggle, the first public school was opened in 1906.
Our school was opened and 117 years later it still remains.
War Memorial outside the school gates.